Church Chili Cook-Off

A fun alternative to the traditional church potluck, and a fundraiser for kitchen supplies, our chili cook-off at church yesterday was a grand success! Fifteen pots of chili arrived and were all labeled "Mild" (mine!), "Medium", or "Hot" and numbered with a red cup. We all bought three "voting beans" for a dollar and dropped them into the cup in front of our favorite flavor.
This was an incentive to actually make my mom's wheat chili recipe that I had never made myself. I soaked the wheat overnight, and my man (and all my boys!) were really pleased with the flavor and chewy texture. Though Sheldon always adds a bit more FIRE to his own. Eileen Becker did a great job organizing the event, and Rick Porter was sure to taste all 15 varieties: beef, chicken, venison, saucy, thick, beans, no-beans, before he announced the winners. Charlie and Lori Ford, recently moved up from Oklahoma, won First Place for pot #12 and Kevin Cooley, a YWAM leader from Texas, won Second Place for pot #8 (both HOT flavors!)
We were very excited when we heard, "Third Place to pot #10 - the Beachys!" WooHoo! This is a recipe I'll have to make again - many thanks to Dad for the home grown grain. :)

Comments

Leah Belle said…
ok...so now you must post the recipe. sounds interesting.
Congratulations! The wall in the background sure brings back good memories of time spent with you.
Lynne said…
Congratulations on third place! I agree with Leah. We need the recipe, (unless it's top secret). If it is, we understand.