Halibut Cove Retreat

In a discussion with Gee of how to continue a summer of rest and healing, the idea of a solitary week spent at the Halibut Cove cabin brought tears. I knew I had to go. Thanks to great help to cover at the offices, my husband reluctantly agreed to take me over Sunday night, Father's Day. With a cooler of simple and healthy food, a few changes of clothes, a stack of books, my hand braces and ointments, and a 5 gallon bucket of water, I waved at the boys, "See you in a week." A bit sad and alone. But expectant. (I came home after 5 days, out of water and ready for a shower and my family.)
It was QUIET. And so beautiful. The first morning, feeling crazy and guilty for abandoning all, the first words I read were from Matthew 13:1, "That same day Jesus went out of the house and SAT BESIDE THE SEA... And He told them many things." Okay Lord, here I am! Just You and me. I'm listening. Sitting at Your feet like Mary.
I spent hours reading, writing, thinking and praying. Walking, doing hand workouts, and napping.
Outside as much as I could be, through moments of drizzle and of sunshine. 
 Crying in repentance, grief, and pain. Rejoicing and singing in thankfulness, forgiveness, and grace.
 Intense and intimate, the time for renewal and healing was a true gift from above!
One of my favorite verses of paradox is Hebrews 4:11, "Let us therefore STRIVE to enter that REST." The Study Bible definition of REST was my theme for the week, "Enjoyment of being established in the presence of God." Maybe it's a good theme for the rest of my life...

Comments