November 6

Seven months post accident. I am still abundantly blessed by the thoughtfulness and consistent prayers of so many! Healing and restoration in my right hand seems painfully slow these days, but when I do step back to evaluate the big picture, I am amazed and grateful for the work my Healer is doing both in my hand and in my heart.
Working the scar tissue, stretching the tendons, and stimulating the nerves is still a lot like work and consumes as much time as a part-time job. In addition to occupational therapy with Susan for an hour Mondays and Thursdays 9-10a. (yeah, OT not PT!), I've begun a 6-wk. treatment in cold laser therapy and Rolfing with Don Keller for an hour Wednesdays 12-1p. I first met Mr. Keller last spring when I took Jordan for a couple sessions to treat some basketball pains. He's got a gift. And he's passionate because he's seen the effects.
There are some pretty cool testimonies about what those little red bars of light (and one purple ultraviolet light) can restore in the layers below the skin as the body tissue absorbs the light and causes a reaction that promotes cell regeneration. Non-invasive and not painful. After he gets the lasers positioned, Don begins Rolfing, applying deep pressure to release the tension of the fascia (connective tissue surrounding tendons, nerves, and muscles.) Injury and stress, repetitive movement cause chronic pain, tension, and decreased flexibility. (Uh-huh!)
The elasticity of the fascia responds to the pressure and stretch, overcoming the friction to glide free again. He pushes HARD into my palm while stretching the fingers to straighten, but I feel like, "No pain, no gain!" My whole hand tingles like crazy and my palm feels intense pressure of swelling afterwards, but totally relaxed and free from stiffness at the same time?! I'm really praying the tendons will break free from the scar tissue, that entangling web of fibrous protein formations deep in my wrist that is holding me back, instead of surgery as the option to clip it free.
Interestingly, the one laser light in the picture highlights my ulnar nerve that continues to be the most inflamed and sensitive area of all. If anyone bumps or squeezes me there, I flinch and grimace and cry like I've been stabbed! BUT the nerves are reconnecting and continue to grow about 1cm/month. I now have tingling in my palm below my pinky, but no feeling up the ring finger or pinky yet.
I'm doing strength exercises and keep trying to use my fingers in daily activities, albeit much more slowly. I can hold a pen long enough to sign my name. I can grasp a doorknob and twist far enough to open a door occasionally. I can hold a knife in my right hand while the left hand pushes down on the blade to actually chop a vegetable. I can shake hands in greeting. It's the little things!
Humility, patience, and compassion are sweet fruits. Pray with me specifically for "Nerves to grow and scars to let go!" XOXOX

Comments